Cacao nibs, great athlete’s best friends
Robin, Newtree’s COO (Chief Operating Officer) is fanatic about sports: boxer, cyclist and crazy about ultratrail, he’s always running. Everyday, he covers the 10 kilometres from his house to work running. Marathon des Sables in Morocco and Mare Nostrum, the longest relay run ever, covering all European shores by 100-kilometre stages, are just examples of recent challenges. This means he must take care of his body. And one way to do so is through nutrition. In his search for optimal nutrition, cocoa nibs are in the top 3 foods.
What are cocoa nibs?
They are essentially eating the cacao bean itself, as they have been roasted, separated from their husks and broken into smaller pieces. When we use the word “Cocoa”, it is usually in reference to the processed, final product. Cacao is how any form of chocolate starts out as the beans come from the Theobroma cacao tree. Cocoa nibs are the least processed and most natural form of chocolate. The lack of processing and sugars give them a distinctive bitter but somewhat nutty flavor.
Why are they in the top 3 of Robin’s preferred foods?
- Highly nutritious (and therefore super energetic)!
- One of the highest sources of antioxydants: they help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, reduce premature ageing…
- A massive dietary source of Magnesium (it is so essential for your body that we shall write an article specifically on that topic)
- Rich in fiber: helps control blood pressure and blood glucose levels
- Exploding with Potassium! Crucial for life, it is key in heart, kidneys and other organs to function properly.
- They improve his mood: running 100km in one go doesn’t always make him happy even if he loves it !
Chocolate and cacao help stimulate the brain into releasing neurotransmitters that can trigger feel good hormones. One of those unique neurotransmitters released by cacao is phenylethylamine. This “love drug” releases endorphins giving us alertness, contentment and a better sense of well-being.
So what are you waiting for? You don’t need to exercise like Robin to enjoy the phenomenal benefits of cacoa nibs.